Touring to Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park in Japan to view the well-known Japanese snow monkeys was a pleasant expertise. We beforehand wrote about our go to however have since acquired a number of reader questions asking about journey logistics. So, we put collectively a useful information addressing widespread questions to assist anybody planning a visit to Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park, Japan.
- 1 The place to see snow monkeys in Japan
- 2 Greatest time to see snow monkeys in Japan
- 3 Gear- What to put on within the winter to go to the snow monkeys
- 4 Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park FAQs
- 5 How you can get to Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park from Tokyo and Nagano
- 6 Day journey choices
- 7 Ryokan and Motels close to Jigokudani Monkey Park
The place to see snow monkeys in Japan
The snow monkeys might be discovered at Jigokudani Yaen Kōen (aka Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park) within the Nagano Prefecture of Japan. Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park is situated close to Yamanouchi town- a 3 hour practice journey from Tokyo or an hour practice experience from Nagano (the closest massive metropolis). A number of ski resorts within the northern Japanese Alps are additionally close by.
Greatest time to see snow monkeys in Japan
Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park is open yr spherical however your expertise will range relying on whenever you go to.
For those who can tolerate chilly climate and are capable of stroll on ice and/or snow, one of the best time to see the Japanese snow monkeys is through the winter (November-March). Throughout this time, the park and the encompassing space are probably the most picturesque as they’re coated in snow. Winter can also be when the snow monkeys most take pleasure in bathing within the scorching springs to flee the chilly. Skilled photographers often select this time to photograph the snow monkeys as true “snow” monkeys.
As beforehand talked about, an element to think about when touring to Jigokudani within the winter is your capacity to stroll on snow and ice. The 1.6 km path you stroll to succeed in the snow monkeys could be slippery. Luckily, it’s principally flat with just some stairs originally and the top of the trail so you do not want to be notably match. We noticed guests of all ages on the path.
Though winter is the preferred and picturesque time to see the snow monkeys, Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park might be visited yr spherical. We do advocate avoiding summer time although as we learn the employees has to coax the monkeys into the recent springs assuming they even come down from the mountains. These pages from the official Jigokudani Yaen Kōen web site and Snow Monkey Resort web site have further details about the snow monkey park throughout every season. Additionally useful to plan a go to is testing the month-to-month climate in Nagano on weatherbase.com.
Gear- What to put on within the winter to go to the snow monkeys
If visiting in winter, bear in mind you may be outdoor for no less than a few hours so make sure that to decorate warmly. The typical temperature within the winter is true across the freezing mark. Should put on gadgets embrace a winter coat, scarf, hat, gloves and snow boots (ideally waterproof with good traction).
An info/present store proper on the entrance for the path sells and rents boots and coats and sells different gear (hats, gloves, scarfs and so on) in case you didn’t deliver your personal. Some ryokans within the space lend snow boots to their visitors so verify beforehand if you don’t want to deliver your personal.
Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park FAQs
• Admission payment /worth: 800 yen (about $7 US) for adults, 400 yen (about $Three.50 US) for youngsters.
• Park Hours: eight:30am-5:00pm in the summertime season (usually April-October); 9:00am-Four:00pm in winter season (usually November-March). The park is meant to be open 365 days a yr however there are sometimes sudden closures because of climate. One of the simplest ways to maintain up with the present circumstances of the park is to comply with their fb web page.
• Guidelines: The park has a number of guidelines together with that feeding or touching monkeys just isn’t allowed. Flash images is allowed and doesn’t hassle the monkeys.
• Meals & Drink: There isn’t a meals on the market contained in the park. The closest place to discover meals is Enza Café, situated proper earlier than the beginning of the path at Kambayashi Onsen. A small memento retailer contained in the park sells scorching chocolate and tea (however no meals) and has a pleasant hotter you’ll be able to sit round. This memento store is just some ft from the recent spring and in addition has restrooms with Western type bogs.
• Stay Cam: The park has a reside cam of the recent springs so you possibly can monitor the motion.
How you can get to Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park from Tokyo and Nagano
Journey to Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park from Tokyo utilizing public transportation includes one or two trains. Until it’s a vacation, you do not want to reserve tickets for both practice forward of time. Most individuals who present up on the practice station a couple of minutes earlier than the practice are capable of buy a seat. To seek for occasions and costs for each trains go to www.hyperdia.com.
Jigokudani Monkey Park from Tokyo
The quickest means from Tokyo is the Shinkansen (bullet practice) from Tokyo to Nagano. At Nagano you’ll be able to hook up with an area bus or practice (see under).
Journey time between Tokyo and Nagano by bullet practice is roughly 82-110 minutes a method however some trains are quicker than others. Practice service is frequent (roughly each 30 minutes). The bullet practice from Tokyo to Nagano is the costliest a part of touring to see the snow monkeys. Worth is eight,400 yen (round $70 USD) a method for a reserved seat. The practice from Tokyo to Nagano is the costliest a part of visiting the park, however when you’ve got a Japanese rail cross, you possibly can apply it to this route.
Jigokudani Monkey Park from Nagano
There are two choices for public transportation from Nagano to the snow monkey park. You don’t need to determine beforehand whether or not to take the practice or the bus from Nagano as there’s frequent service for each and knowledge on transportation is straightforward to seek out upon arrival at Nagano. We observed a posted schedule for trains to the park. Each practice and bus have a journey time of roughly 40-50 minutes.
1) Practice from Nagano to Yudanaka practice station (close to Yamanouchi city): From Nagano there’s a regional practice (Nagano Dentetsu Line Restricted Categorical) to the Yudanaka practice station. There are frequent trains between Nagano and Yudanaka day by day. The price of the practice is 1,260 yen (round $11 USD) a method. The Japanese rail cross can’t be used for this route.
To take the native practice, upon arrival to Nagano from Tokyo on the Shinkansen, exit the Nagano JR station and stroll a number of ft to the Nagano Dentetsu station (subway).
Upon arrival to Yudanaka Station from Nagano, there are taxis and buses to take you to your ryokan or on to the park. English talking volunteers can be found at Yudanaka practice station to assist direct vacationers.
The practice from Nagano is the best choice for anybody staying within the close by city of Yamanouchi. Even when not staying in Yamanouchi, taking the practice from Nagano is handy as you’ll be able to take a 10 minute experience by taxi or native bus from Yudanaka practice station to the park.
2) Bus from Nagano to Kambayashi Onsen – From Nagano there are buses to Kambayashi Onsen. Kambayashi Onsen is strolling distance to the beginning of the path to Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park. The bus might be a greater choice for somebody on a day journey from Tokyo or Nagano because it drops you off at a bus cease situated just some minutes stroll to the park.
This web page on the Snow Monkey Resorts web site lays out the transportation choices rather well.
Day journey choices
• Tokyo –You possibly can go to the snow monkeys as a day journey from Tokyo nevertheless it requires a really very lengthy day with an early morning begin. Though pretty straightforward to go to the snow monkeys independently, there are day excursions from Tokyo to see the snow monkey park. Journey time is roughly 2-Three hours every means (quick bullet practice to Nagano then hook up with an area practice or bus).
• Nagano – Nagano is the closest massive metropolis to Jigokudani. Journey time is roughly 40-50 minutes by practice, bus or automotive every means.
• Close by Ski Resorts– Close by ski resorts (corresponding to Shiga Kogen or Nozawa Onsen) are lower than an hour away and make a superb base for a day journey to Jigokudani.
Ryokan and Motels close to Jigokudani Monkey Park
Deciding the place to remain was probably the most complicated factor for us when planning our go to to the snow monkey park. We knew we needed to remain very near the park, however it wasn’t tremendous clear when researching the journey the place precisely to remain so as to do this. If you wish to keep very near Jigokudani you will have to remain in a ryokan (Japanese conventional inn). If you need to remain in a standard Western type lodge, you’ll almost certainly want to remain in Nagano.
Listed here are a number of choices of the place to remain if you need to be as shut as potential to the Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park:
Inside Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park – There is just one place to remain contained in the park near the place the snow monkeys are:
• Korakukan – That is the one one ryokan contained in the snow monkey park. Whereas this ryokan is pretty costly and has solely shared loos, the plus is a location within the park just a few minutes stroll from the onsen the snow monkeys hand around in. Click on right here to see the newest costs.
Kambayashi Onsen – That is an onsen city at the beginning of the path main to the snow monkeys. There are a few ryokans on this space however not as many as Yamanouchi. The good thing about staying at Kambayashi Onsen is that the doorway to the path is simply a brief 5 minute stroll. That is additionally the drop off level if arriving by bus from Nagano. We determined to remain at Kambayashi Onsen so we could possibly be strolling distance to the park.
The draw back to staying right here is that there will not be many points of interest or outlets within the instant neighborhood of Kambayashi Onsen in comparison with Shibu Onsen or Yamanouchi-machi. There’s one good restaurant (Enza Cafe) on the best way to the park. Enza Cafe serves each Japanese and western meals and has a handy take out window.
Listed here are some nice ryokans in case you are prepared to splurge:
• Jinpyokaku Ryokan – That is the place we stayed and it was good in each means. This can be a conventional however luxurious ryokan with all the fashionable facilities. Click on right here to see the newest costs or learn our full assessment.
• Kanbayashi Lodge Senjukaku – One other conventional ryokan in Kambayashi Onsen near the park that will get good evaluations. Click on right here to see the newest costs.
Yamanouchi or Yamanouchi-machi (close to Yudanaka Station) – Yamanouchi is the city many vacationers base themselves when visiting the snow monkeys. It’s strolling distance from the Yudanaka Station. The benefit of staying in Yamanouchi is the primary city location and proximity to eating places, outlets and the practice station. The path to the monkeys is a few 10 minute drive- there’s a bus however many ryokans present a free experience or have a shuttle.
Yamanouchi has a variety of lodging with a variety of costs however listed here are a number of the greatest choices:
• Shimaya Ryokan – This midpriced ryokan is a superb worth. It’s near the practice station and will get nice evaluations. Click on right here to see the newest costs.
• Ryokan Biyunoyado – Nice luxurious choice with a personal rooftop onsen that will get nice critiques. Click on right here to see the newest costs.
Shibu Onsen – Shibu Onsen is about 2.5 km from the park on the best way to Yamanouchi. This can be a good little city full of tub homes within the neighborhood of the park. Shibu Onsen has a extra conventional Japanese really feel than Yamanouchi. Attending to the park may require a experience or a shuttle however some individuals select to stroll.
Shibu Onsen has quite a lot of lodging with a variety of costs however listed here are a number of the greatest choices:
• Koishiya – This midpriced ryokan is a superb worth. Click on right here to see the newest costs.
• Shibu-onsen Kokuya – Luxurious conventional ryokan with nice evaluations. Click on right here to see the newest costs.
Hopefully this information answered any questions you’ll have whereas planning your journey – if not, be happy to ask anything you want to know!
Are you additionally visiting Tokyo and Kyoto? Take a look at our detailed guides on easy methods to spend Three days in Tokyo and three days in Kyoto.
Save to Pinterest!
Disclaimer: This text incorporates affiliate hyperlinks. We might make a small fee when you make a reserving after clicking on one in every of them.